Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

Another day in Paradise aka my Liquor Problems!

I like to drink on Friday nights. I have passed the legal drinking age several times. I have raised 3 boys, and for the most part take care of myself. It seems like an innocent enough past time. But since moving to Kentucky 2 years ago, I have been faced with this.

Of the 120 counties in Kentucky, 46 are completely dry, 42 are considered partially dry or "moist", 31 are entirely wet, and one is classified as wet but is actually closer to "moist".

I live in the completely dry zone. And I am 2 hours south of moist! Ah, but the border to Tennessee is only 45 minutes away, where you can find Beer and Fireworks. If I want Rum, which is my drink of choice, I have to take a day off from school and work to make my purchase.
(A study of about 39,000 alcohol-related traffic accidents in Kentucky found that residents of dry counties are more likely to be involved in such crashes, possibly because they have to drive farther from their homes to consume alcohol, thus increasing impaired driving exposure. The study concludes that county-level prohibition is not necessarily effective in improving highway safety)

About 8 months ago an never to be revealed source told me about a person that makes his living providing alchohol to the poor liquor deprived souls in my town. OMG how exciting!!! For and extra $10 I place my order on Thursday and tada! I get my Rum on Friday afternoon. My friend and I had a great relationship, I didn't ask him any questions and he provided me with my booze. A month ago, he disappeared. Low and behold, I saw his picture in the local paper. He was picked up for bootlegging, not his first rodeo either. He is off to the big house.

For me, it means Tennesee and Beer. My first trip accross the border took me to Fred's. At this establishment (hole in the wall) they sell beer, cigarette's and fishing bait. Ahhh Paradise!

If you want to know more about the liquor laws in Kentucky, here is a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Kentucky

I have to run, it's Friday and I need more beer!

7 comments:

  1. Those laws are ridiculous! And I can't even understand how you're allowed to have "dry counties" in America anymore. I mean, Prohibition was repealed over 75 years ago!!!

    I have attended two universities thus far: one with an "open campus" in the middle of the city, where alcohol was permitted if you were 21, and one dry, closed campus. And guess which one has the bigger drinking problem? If you guessed the dry one, you'd be spot on. ;)

    ~@debraketchner

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm...maybe God is trying to tell you something? :) I can't even remember the last time I bought alcohol! I hardly ever drink it unless it's a glass of wine with friends over dinner. Besides, it's FULL of calories I don't need! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alabama is just as stupid as Kentucky about alcohol sales. Lots of dry counties. I'm lucky enough to live in Huntsville, filled with super-smart engineers. They like their booze, and they vote. So we're wet. We even have alcohol sales on Sunday now.

    Go a county in any direction and you'll run into dry.

    I can't remember if Lexington was wet or dry when I lived there. I was so busy having kids and earning my college degrees that I didn't have time to drink anyway.

    If I ever have to drive up your way I'll load the back of my SUV with rum for you, okay?

    - Joan (Chem_Is_Try)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise,
    Maybe God is telling me I should move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, so I don't know how I stumble upon your blog, but I love this post.

    My parents just retired (from California) to what I call "Tiny Town" Kentucky, which is just south of Elizabethtown, and it's a dry county. Well, I actually think they just went moist but that place's margaritas are horrible, so, it might as well be dry.

    When all the kids congregate at their house for the holidays, we have to drive ridiculous distances for a little refreshment. But it makes one heck of a story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are fabulous! You can come to West Virginia anytime you want, and drink with me! Have you ever tried Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale? Its fantastic! And rum is great too, but I don't drink it anymore.. gotta story to go along with that if you are interested.. lol

    Anyway, hope you are doing well! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My name is Al. This comment is about your "entitlement" post. First, I went to a "prep" school & college on academic scholarships earned with my grades & worked to pay for my books, housing etc. So I know what it's about.

    I worked for 20 years with the welfare crowd, & your assessment is spot-on. I am a dyed-in-the-wool liberal (from my parents & educators, but mainly from my own life experiences), and this is an issue that has always bothered me, maybe more than any other.

    We look at these kids & say, "This boy doesn't have a chance; look at how his parents are raising him." But that's what we said about his parents & what we'll be saying about his kids. How does the cycle get broken? Very few of them are capable of doing it themselves; they don't even know that there's anything unusual about their lives, let alone have a desire to change it. And with the mentality that they've been raised with, cutting off the benefits will not work; it will only drive them beyond the edge.

    If you have any other thoughts about this, I would be interested in hearing them. I also have something to say on an entirely different topic, and as I suggested in my Tweet, I am leaving my email address for you. If you don't feel comfortable with email exchange, just tell me & I won't ask again. alurik@consolidated.net

    ReplyDelete