I am happy to introduce you to my mom. Louise Lavender Harris. My mom was born in Cincinatti Ohio, but raised in Pine Knot Kentucky. She married my dad right after graduating from high school, and he joined the Marine Corps. I have no idea how many times we moved, I know I went to 10 different schools. And I am the youngest child. Now, that I am older, I wonder how in the world she managed. My mom was diagnosed with chronic active hepatitis, but that diagnosis came only a few years before she died. Up until then, they did not know what was wrong and would just try to treat her symptoms. So here she was, terribly ill, with 4 young children (rotten and wild to boot!) a husband out of the country for years at a time....Wow! I come from serious strength!
My memories of my mom come from different times in my life. When I first started school, I remember wanting to walk home from the bus stop by myself. I went half days, so my brothers were not on the bus to bug me! But my mom insisted on either being at the bus stop herself, or if she was unable would have our neighbor Mr. Burnett meet me. I talked her into it one day, so here I go, all proud of myself to be alone for a change! Then accross the road between my home and the road was the biggest snake I ever saw! I remember the feeling of terror even today! I think I stood there for about 30 minutes, though it seemed like hours at the time. Then, around the corner, here came my mom.....running down the road crying....Sherry, she kept hollering my name what is wrong honey, come home. I somehow found my voice and told her about the snake. She stopped running when she saw it, picked up a rock and threw it at that snake yelling at it, leave my baby alone, go away. I was so happy and proud that she was my mom that day, and everyday after that I became more so.
Even as sick as she was, my mom was my rock and my defender. Anybody that was around her for even a short time, knew without a doubt her love for her children. And for me, as the only daughter, there was a special light of love. I will never forget the day she met her first grandchild. Brian Jacob Smith was 6 weeks old when him and I made our first trip home to visit my family. My mom was there at the gate, she was ill and had to sit in a wheelchair. But when I walked up the ramp, she stood and ran to me, hugging me and crying. She took him from my arms, so gently holding him close to her heart and she smelled his little neck. She looked up at me and said, God has answered my prayers this day. I will never ever forget the look on her face. I never thought she could love anymore than she loved her kids, but I was wrong. The love she had for Brian was more, and different. It was a peaceful and joyful love. They had quite a lot of fun, Nana and Brian! He rode around with her in her Corvette all over town. My dad still has that car, all tucked away in his garage.
So, that's my mom. Love, a lot of love. Strength, so much courage. And the faith that God was in control. Lessons learned and passing to the next generation. That is the legacy my mother left for her family.
Louise Lavender Harris 12/11/1938-1/6/1985
Such a sweet story Sherry. You brought me to tears. I just realized that Brian and I both lost grandmas when we were three. Granna passed away on 6/27/1985. You have the same love as her.
ReplyDeleteI cried reading this. The love of family is the most precious thing. Thanks for sharing this with us.
ReplyDeleteWow. What an amazing woman. I can't imagine dealing with what she did. And she still gave you guys so much.
ReplyDeleteYou come from good people.
It is such a pleasure to read of your mother. What wonderful memories you have. You've expressed them so beautifully. *smiles*
ReplyDeleteHoping to see more updates! Miss you
ReplyDelete